What should we include in children's Portfolios?
Representing Children's Learning
Your portfolios/learning journals should show a path of each child’s learning journey, evidencing progress towards the learning outcomes. This helps support planning and ensures every child has their individual needs met. Educators are able to plan for and provide experiences and interactions as individual children show emerging knowledge and skills. There are a variety of different ways you can represent children’s
learning in your portfolios. Below are some ideas on what to include in from each child’s first day until leaving your care.
Consider including the below documentation tools and samples in your Portfolios/Learning Journals….
The Beginning Of Your Portfolio
The very start of your portfolio for a new child starting at your service should include the following...
- A cover with the name of the child and a photo
Children can easily find their
own book when they
would like to sit down and
have a look at their work.
- Information for families about the purpose of the portfolio and information about the learning outcomes and what we are using them for
- Information about the Educators in the Room
- Welcome to the room page
- An About Me form completed by families
- My First Day/week in their new setting
The Next Section of your portfolio
This section should have your documentation on children's participation in your program which includes their meaningful learning experiences and relationships with others.
- Learning Stories- documenting children's progress towards the learning outcomes, including analysis of learning, future planning, family input and reflections.
- Observations, Anecdotes, all different types whatever works for you and ensures you are documenting children's learning and progress.
- Photos- write a note about the photo and its reason for being included.
- Notes-it is ok to add notes handwritten if they are purposeful towards the learning journey of the child.
- Art Samples with explanations
- Input from families
- Sample of works
- Summative Assessments-Mid and end of year; Assessments of the child’s progress against the learning outcomes of the educational program
Towards the End of your Learning Journals
- Transition pages to new rooms- who their new educators will be
- Goodbye pages- children leaving the service and or heading off to school
Portfolios should stay at your service until the child leaves the service. This allows you to track each child's learning from their first day and helps each new educator get an understanding of each child as they transition into new rooms. Children will love to look back over their portfolios and revisit special moments especially if they have been with you for a long time.
Portfolios should be stored where they can be accessed by parents and families at any time.
We have all of the pages to easily help you with this process. Our full set offer includes all of the packs above and all of our learning story pages. These packs save you so much time. Simply insert your own images and text. Allowing you more time to actually spend with children rather than fussing over paper work. You can order below or you can request and invoice here if you prefer. We also offer this set on CD- which you can view here- CD Version
0,Full Set Offer
Our Learning Story Packs Include;
- Outcome pages suitable for EYLF, MTOP, QKLG, VEYLDF
- Analysis of Learning- what this means and how to write
- Future planning- what this means and how to write
- Parent voice (sections to invite parent contribution)
- Reflection to ensure your cycle of programming
The Benefits of using our packs
?"No ongoing costs, once you purchase them they are yours forever
?"If we update an individual pack you have purchased we will send you the updates for free
?"Our packs are so easy to use, no internet issues or planned outages or calls to help lines for assistance
?"Families are loving the pages they are presented in children’s journals
?"Educators are loving how easy the are to use
?"Each pack has a collection of different designs to choose from so children’s learning journals do not look the same
?"Educators are loving how easily they can cover all the requirements for Quality Area 1 Programming and Planning
Fully editable each page allows you to simply insert your own images and write your own story and cover everything you need for NQS.
These pages can also be used in your online documentation programs
You can also follow me for the latest news on products and sales and freebies on any of the links below.
If you have any questions, I’d love to hear from you!
-Sally @ Edomainfirstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: Educators Domain
Twitter: Educators Domain
Instagram: Educators Domain
0,Full Set Offer